"I met my business partner, Sarah Esau at university while studying graphic design in Nottingham. We were becoming bored of seeing the same mainstream names and logos flashing by all imitating each others styles. We keep all our products limited so once their gone, they’re gone for good! "
"Perhaps I’m weird but the whole 9-5 grind til you die thing just genuinely scares the shit out of me. You work hard, you get a promotion, a car, a house, maybe you pop out a couple of kids. Excuse my language, but f*** that! I’ll rather leave that to other people. Why do we have to do what society slyly conditions us into, lead your life, wear what you want, be confident!
Because let’s be honest, life is too short to wear boring clothes."
2. What was your biggest challenge to get going?
"Truthfully in our situation at the time, I was at one of my lowest points ever, mentally and physically. I was burnout, depressed and my self-confidence completely shot to pieces. We both were. So as you can imagine keeping up the motivation to keep working on a ‘business idea’ which at this point in time involved spending lots of your own money, I’m not going to dress it up, this is a competitive market, it’s a big risk. We have to live as humbly as we can. Each month with financing the business and paying the bills, there isn’t much left over! But it’s part of the plan and we knew what we were getting ourselves into. Perhaps my sorry state was in some way a blessing in disguise, fuelling me to take back control. We’re here for the long haul, you gotta keep the goal in mind and remember what you’re working towards because one day all the grit and determination will pay you back. "
3. Any advice to the youngbloods thinking about following in your foot steps?
1. Surround yourself with good, like-minded people, who will support you.
2. Work out the business side of things, do the research, educate yourself. It won’t be viable on passion alone.
3. Look to a mentor, a youth charity called The Prince’s Trust was of invaluable help to us. They can help you with things like funding and business advice and it’s all totally free.
4. Whats your favorite get motivated quote?
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." - George Bernard Shaw
More Interviews at Platypus:
Tags: Platypus UK clothing, How To, fashion, streetwear blog, culture, creative, graphic design, designer, Printed t-shirts, Tie-dye, Independent business, British Brand, Nottingham UK